Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Clinique All About Shadow Neutral Territory 8 Shade Palette

There are so many nude palettes out there, so why should you need another one? Well, I must say, after a few weeks using the new Clinique Shades of Beige palette, hear me out, you might also need this one. My expectation were set pretty high with this palette. Already being a huge fan of my trusty Clinique Black Honey Palette I was curious to see how these shadows would compare.

First off, the packaging is gorgeous and simple. So happy Clinique got rid of that medical looking green packaging - remember that?! With a big mirror on the inside of its case, the palette is sturdy and quite small. It fits perfectly in my hand and because of its compact size, would be amazing to take traveling. Even with it's mirrored case look, the palettes doesn't attract smudge prints too easily, thank goodness.

As you can see, the color range is quite good. The only color missing in order for the palette to be complete, in my opinion, is a very dark brown or black. I often use that type of color to line my upper lash line and to slightly deepen the outer crease. Some people might also notice that there are no matte shades in this palette. I personally don't mind, but can absolutely see how this can be a problem for some beauty lovers. I like using a matte color in my crease but this palette doesn't give me that option. The third shade from the left is a little less shimmery than the others, and I usually end up using that to blend out the crease and it does the trick.

The palette does have quite a wide range of colors however, from warm toned shades to cooler toned shades, which makes it easy to use for a daytime or an evening look. I'm absolutely obsessed with the 5th and 6th shade from the left. They are absolutely stunning cool toned neutrals and remind me both of a muted Satin Taupe by MAC. At first, I thought maybe there was too much shimmer in this palette, but after accidentally leaving my palette on my mom's vanity over the holidays, and hearing how much she loved using it until she returned it to me, I figured it must not be that shimmery. My mom is one to stay away from shimmer and the fact that she loved this palette confirms that women of any age could use it. The shimmer simply isn't too obvious on the lids. My mom has more of an olive skin (I have a pinky cool skintone) and the colors were very flattering on her as well.

The shades vary in pigmentation. The lighter shades are less pigmented than the darker shades, but they are still easy to work with. The shades have a very different texture than say, a soft MAC shadow. However, I suspect that the fact that they are less creamy than the leading Urban Decay or MAC shadows, is letting them stay longer on the lid without creasing. As with my beloved Black Honey Clinique palette, these shadows do not budge whatsoever (with my usual base). I've also experienced minimal fall-out with all the shades. It's also worth noting that the lightest shade is gorgeous in the inner lid, and that the bronze shade (second from the right) is stunning worn on its own.

Here, I created a quick look with the taupe shades, and the darkest shade in the outer corner. I used the lightest shade in the tear duct area to brighten up my eyes. This has been my daytime look lately: easy and sophisticated.

Overall, I'm very happy with this palette. It delivered what I expected of it: gorgeous shades, staying power and versatility. I've been using it for daytime looks, but have no problems switching it up to nighttime. The only lacking shade in my opinion is a light matte, and a black matte color. But I have no problem replacing my usual use of a black shadow by black eyeliner, so it's not much of an inconvenience. If you have a million neutral toned palettes, maybe this one can be skipped. However, if like me, you don't own any of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes, this might be a great option!

* I have received this product for consideration but my opinions are always my own. I am not being compensated for this review and I always strive to review products with honesty.

2 comments:

  1. I really want this palette. I swatched it in store and at first thought it was too warm, but after more thought I think it will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great colors your eye shadow has. I love the warm hues it brings. I just got a similar set for Christmas and I can't wait to use it.

    Cheers to the New Year!
    Love,
    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete