Monday, February 4, 2013

Gelcolor by OPI in My Private Jet

Just a quick post today to show you what I had on my nails all through last week. Gelcolor by OPI is simply put, regular OPI colors in a gel form which is curable under UV/LED lights. The shade I have on in these pictures is My Private Jet, and is also in OPI's regular nail polish collection. It's a gorgeous shimmery smokey gray/brown.


For this application, I used a Gelish base and top coat and it worked fine. I did find the Gelcolor by OPI formula very thick and gloopy. It wasn't necessarily harder to work with, but did take a bit of time to get used to it. My usual choice of gel polish (Gelish, Quo by Orly Gels) is usually much more runny. In a way, I find the Gelcolor formula makes an opaque application easier since it's so thick. Some Gelish shades I have are so runny and sheer, it would take 5 coats in order to get an opaque finish, and that's just too time consuming. I'd definitely repurchase the Gelcolor by OPI in other shades - who doesn't want a classic OPI shade on their nails with absolutely no chips for more than a week? It's a shame they are only available on Ebay (as far as I can tell) at a reasonable price.

If you're interested in gel polishes, feel free to ask me questions. I'm not an expert, but if you're looking for some pointers, I could probably help you.

Hope your week is off to a good start! Mine has definitely been! :)

4 comments:

  1. Is this a little more shimmery than the normal OPI version? Also, do you put SPF on your hands before you put them in the curing...apparatus? LOL not sure what they're called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think you're right that it's a bit more shimmery. LOL no, I don't put SPF. I don't think the rays are significant enough to warrant it. But I'm sure you could if you thought it was needed :)

      Delete
  2. Love the colour! I've not tried gel polishes before, but I'm tempted to give them a go. Do they take long to dry under the UV/LED lights? And was wondering if the colour is difficult to remove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take long at all to cure, 2-3 minutes tops. I personally hate the removal process, but really it's not that bad. You just have to a cotton pad full of acetone remover, wrap it in foil, then leave on for 10-15 minutes. Not too complicated or painful!

      Delete