Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Polkadot Mess of a Mani with Nubar's Black Polka Dot

I intended this manicure to look like cute polka dots nails and I think they just look like a cookies & cream chocolate bar... which, in itself, is damn delicious, but on my nail... I'm not so sure. I did get a few compliments on this manicure though! A girl who works at my favorite bakery (the coffee is the bessssst!) didn't understand how the polka dots worked - I tried to explain that it was a topcoat but she didn't get it - I wish I could have shown her the bottle. Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen a Sally Hansen Salon Manicure polish in Lavender Cloud, which basically looks white, even though it is a bit lavender in the bottle. Cookies and cream is just... not nail appropriate! Cookies and cream is to be eaten!

Either way, the point was to test out the new Nubar's Black Polka Dot topcoat. I actually quite like it if I forget the fact that it looks funny on a white-ish nail polish. If you're not too picky about the placement of your black dots, you won't have a problem with this polish. I suggest to pick up a lot of polish on your brush and try to spread the "black dots" on your nail. They kind of "stick" and you can sort of pick up the excess nail polish off with the brush. It's hard to explain but it works quite well! If you're going in with very thin coats, I'd say you'll get 3 dots. But if you try a ticker coat, then you'll get about 5 to 7. Mine many was done with one coat of Nubar's Black Polka Dot, but I did dot a couple more polka dots on after.

 My gold and black bracelet is from an Etsy seller named helloberry. I love it so much!

Perhaps next time I'll try it with a light pink? What do you think would look cute with black polka dots? I suggest adding a thick topcoat over Nubar's Black Polka Dot because the glitter dries to a bit of a rough finish. Seche Vite just made everything smooth for me :)

I'm still dealing with dry cuticles but have been trying really hard to not pick at them. It's an ongoing battle really. My apologies for dryness!

I'm heading to bed early tonight! I haven't slept much in the past few days and this has been topped with afternoon migraines. Annick needs sleep! So see ya later peeps and have a great night!

5 comments:

  1. I kind of like this cookies and cream. I don't like when glitter combos get too crazy and colorful. This has a simple feel because it seems black and white! The polka dot effect reminds me of the Beth ditto collection coming out from Mac soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think your manicure turned out beautifully - but I can see your point about cookies and cream :) I do love the classic simplicity of black and white though, and it does go perfectly with your bracelet!
    xox,
    Cee
    http://cocoandvera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You manucure is cute but I too think that it's a bit too "cookies & cream". I wonder if it would look good on bright red?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cute, but I think you're right about it being too cookies & cream. I think it would look good on a lilac or a bright pink base :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! I've. I've not heard of Nubar but will have to keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete